Chocolate is a beauitful concoction. I must say, I love the stuff! As a goal this year I am trying to eat a little better and give my body the attention it deserves. In my quest to find snack foods, I very quickly stumbled over chocolate. I favor milk chocolate but I’m not opposed to dark chocolate, after all the darker the better!
While I was sitting eating my Ghirardelli Chocolate Intense Dark Sea Salt Soiree (whew, that was a mouth full) I was thinking what kinds of benefits I was eating if any. I quickly turned to Google for the answers I (desperately – not really) seeked, what I found was page after page of an awesome bean (other than coffee of course)!
I think chocolate gets a bad rep when your dieting or trying to live a new healthier life. As they say, everything in moderation is ok, but when you eat 10 lbs of something that’s not too great for ya, we’ll you know what happens. I’d like to share the findings of my fruitful search with you all, so you can learn to love chocolate again too.
• 11% lower risk of developing cardiovascular disease and a 23% lower risk of having a stroke!
• 3.5oz’s everyday is good for you! So that is basicly 22 Hershey’s Kisses, two Hershey bars or two bags of M&M’s. Your choice, since you know your cravings.
• flavonoids — a type of antioxidant found in chocolate, tea and red wine, which can help stimulate blood flow by mopping up damaging substances.
• Chocolate is one of the richest natural sources of magnesium, a mineral essential for brain health.
• Chocolate is also rich in antioxidants called polyphenols, which, like flavonoids, rid the body of free radicals. Eating up to 12 squares of chocolate every 24 hours can help alleviate the pain caused by inflammation of the joints.
• another naturally occurring antioxidant found in chocolate, boosted the immune system.
• Chocolate keeps the pituitary gland supplied with magnesium, which helps it function properly and lowers the production of cortisol, known as the dreaded ‘stress hormone’.
I find all of these benifits rewarding so i don’t mind if i have a half a bar of chocolate, how about you?